Skip to main content

Satuday Equals NPR Day

Even though it makes me feel old, I enjoy listening to NPR. Well, let me qualify that. I enjoy listening to NPR on Saturdays. The rest of the week I find a bit repetitive about the news items of the day and the economy. But on Saturday, I can listen to NPR from noon to 7 pm. When Wilbert is home, the radio is tuned to NPR at 11 am for Car Talk. I plan my day around NPR. I do all loud chores (like vacuuming) and anything that I need to do out of the house in the morning, so I am in the house and able to listen without interruption. I enjoy the unique stories of Weekend America, learn more about cooking well on The Splendid Table and laugh with Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion. I may make me sound old, but I never fail to have something interesting to talk about later on that has nothing to with school or students.

Today is no exception. On Weekend America, which sometimes is quite anti-Christianity, had this wonderful essay read by author Lindsay O'Connor on the importance of her faith in the upcoming election. It was great and an encouraging reminder that there are lots of people outside of Edgerton who want their faith to impact every aspect of their life. You can read it it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for 2018

So about this time of the year last year, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and finally came to the conclusion that I was not keeping very good track of things and my life. So, I bought and planner and I love it. But, in my search for a planner, I kept thinking there has to be something that can not only help me plan well, but also help and encourage me spiritually. Then, last year Jamie Ivey highlighted Anchored Press in her 2016 Gift Giving Guide. And I knew I was going to be getting a planner from Anchored Press for 2018.
And it has arrived! And I love it!


I am so excited to start using this planner in the new year. I hope that it will help encourage me in all areas of my life.

L.M Montgomery's Beginning and End

My birthday present to myself this year was to join the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. It is an online book club and I am so excited to be a part of it. I haven't been in book club in a long time, mostly because all of the invitations I get usually end with, "and at our meetings, we usually don't talk about the book very much, so it doesn't matter if you read it or not." What is the point of a book club if you are not actually going to talk about the book? So, anyway, I am excited to be a part of a community of people who read as much as I do and like to talk about what they read.
I was even more excited when I learned that the pick for November was going to be Emily of New Moon. And since I have lived on PEI for almost 7 years and had yet to visit L. M. Montgomery's Birthplace, I figured it was high time. So the kids and I hopped in the van this afternoon and drove through some lovely countryside to New London, PEI.



 The little home is full of all sorts of Mo…

Coming Home from Michigan

Following the Truck Parade, we spent a bit of time at a park near Nick and Dawn's house. And then off to airport. 
We were nicely on time. Check-in went fine, but a little longer because of Gideon not being connected to our family. Security was a breeze and we were soon on our way and in Detroit. We easily found our gate in Detroit, had a 10 minute delay for boarding, but soon enough we were on the plane.
And that it when the bottom fell out. 
While on the plane, the pilots revived notice that Toronto was shut down due to weather. We waited about 20-30 minutes on the plane. They gave us snacks. Then they had us get off the plane and wait in the terminal. Every 30 minutes or so we would be updated that we were still delayed. And we were watching dark clouds and lightening roll into the area surround Detroit, too. Soon, the Detroit airport was shut down too. They brought out snacks and drinks a few different times, but finally around 10 pm (so over 5 hours of being delayed in the a…