Skip to main content

The Day I Met Mataya

This birth story was much smoother and bit more predictable than the first birth story. But, it was still full of surprises.

The whole pregnancy, I had been trying to convince myself that this baby would be late. Joash was 10 days early, but I didn't want to get my hopes up too much that baby #2 would also be early.

On Thursday, May 16th, it was the last day I was planning on tutoring a student that I had been working with at the local Christian School. I felt really "off" when I got up. Nothing to really indicate labour, but just a bit funny. But, I really wanted my student to have closure and to say good bye and stuff, so I just pushed through and got myself ready and went to school. By the time I got there, I felt fine. The rest of the day I felt fine too and even cleaned some random stuff and baked a batch of cookies. That's right. I was nesting.

I woke up around 1:40 am Friday morning to go to the bathroom. I stood up and my water broke. No question in my mind this time, it was clear that my water broke. I woke Wilbert up and we cleaned up, called his mom to come over, called the hospital, ate something, packed up and headed out. I was having mild short contractions about every 10-15 minutes or so. 

We arrived at the hospital around 2:45 am and got all checked in and the nurses did their normal checks and hooked me up to monitors and stuff. Once I layed down, my contractions slowed way down too. The nurses asked if I wanted to labour in the hospital, or go home for a bit. I decided to just stay because while the contractions were further apart, they were making me more uncomfortable. I just really wanted to get up and walk around. Finally, around 4:30, they were satisfied with the printouts from the monitor and said I could get up and walk around. The nurses had not checked how dilated I was yet, and I asked why. They said they don't do it unnecessarily to reduce the possibility of introducing infection. Fair enough. I got up to walk and they said to walk around for hour and the come back. But to also come back if contractions really picked up or I felt pressure.

Well, we walked for 10 minutes and I was back. The nurses were a bit skeptical when I said I was feeling pressure, but they checked me anyway and discovered I was 9 cm dilated. Then we had to hurry to the delivery room and Mataya entered the world at 5:24 am. 

We were super surprised we had a little girl! While we did not want to know the gender of our baby, we had convinced ourselves that it was a boy. We had 3 ultrasounds during this pregnancy and all three ultrasound techs said "he" during the course of the ultrasound. And Wilbert, who has seen a lot of cow ultrasounds this by this time, thought he detected some boy parts on the ultrasound. So, we were pretty much planning on a boy. We love how God surprises us!


Comments

Mary said…
She is beautiful!
Tam Velderman said…
Just precious~so happy for you.

Popular posts from this blog

L.M Montgomery's Beginning and End

My birthday present to myself this year was to join the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. It is an online book club and I am so excited to be a part of it. I haven't been in book club in a long time, mostly because all of the invitations I get usually end with, "and at our meetings, we usually don't talk about the book very much, so it doesn't matter if you read it or not." What is the point of a book club if you are not actually going to talk about the book? So, anyway, I am excited to be a part of a community of people who read as much as I do and like to talk about what they read.
I was even more excited when I learned that the pick for November was going to be Emily of New Moon. And since I have lived on PEI for almost 7 years and had yet to visit L. M. Montgomery's Birthplace, I figured it was high time. So the kids and I hopped in the van this afternoon and drove through some lovely countryside to New London, PEI.



 The little home is full of all sorts of Mo…

Coming Home from Michigan

Following the Truck Parade, we spent a bit of time at a park near Nick and Dawn's house. And then off to airport. 
We were nicely on time. Check-in went fine, but a little longer because of Gideon not being connected to our family. Security was a breeze and we were soon on our way and in Detroit. We easily found our gate in Detroit, had a 10 minute delay for boarding, but soon enough we were on the plane.
And that it when the bottom fell out. 
While on the plane, the pilots revived notice that Toronto was shut down due to weather. We waited about 20-30 minutes on the plane. They gave us snacks. Then they had us get off the plane and wait in the terminal. Every 30 minutes or so we would be updated that we were still delayed. And we were watching dark clouds and lightening roll into the area surround Detroit, too. Soon, the Detroit airport was shut down too. They brought out snacks and drinks a few different times, but finally around 10 pm (so over 5 hours of being delayed in the a…

A Farm Boy Already

I don't fully understand how this happens, but Gideon already loves the tractor. If he is in the kitchen or the living room and he hears the sound of the tractor, he crawls to the closest window and has a look outside. When he sees it, he often starts drumming on the window sill, so excited. He repeats a little "T" sound, like he is trying to say tractor. He hasn't actually gone for a ride in the tractor, yet. But I think he will be pretty excited to that some day soon.