Skip to main content

Christmas Trip - Part 1 - Getting There

This picture sort of sums up our recent trip to Michigan for Christmas. Lots of time in the airport. Lots of time waiting. Lots of time in the car. But looking back, even though out travels out to Michigan didn't go as planned, we can see how God was working though it all to make it as good of an experience as possible for us. We actually made it to my parents house only 9 hours later than we were supposed too and considering the circumstances, that is pretty amazing in and of itself.

We were supposed to leave for Michigan on Monday, December 23 from Halifax at 7:00am. We had planned to leave our house at around 1 in the morning and just drive it and get there by 5 to check in for our flight. We could not leave the day before because Wilbert was directing the church choir for the Candlelight service which was to take place that Sunday evening. Well all week leading up this, they had been predicting pretty awful weather for Sunday. Saturday we had rain and there was freezing rain in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We had a lot of snow on Sunday and both church services ended up being cancelled. But our flight was still on, so at 7 pm, Sunday evening, Wilbert and I decided that we would start on our way to Halifax. We figured that way if the roads were really bad, we could go really slow and still make it and not feel rushed.  So, we packed up everything and we were on the road by 8.

The roads on PEI were not nice at all. Very snow covered and a bit slushy. But, they were better in New Brunswick. We did run into a bit of freezing rain along the way and did go slow, but by the time we got to Truro, Nova Scotia, the roads were fine. It took us about 5 hours to get to the airport, a trip that usually takes about 3 hours and 15 minutes. Mataya slept the whole way and Joash slept for most of the trip.

So, now it was around midnight and we had a few hours to kill. For whatever reason (I still don't know why) I really thought we should just find a hotel and see if we couldn't get a few hours of sleep. So we stopped in at the Quality Inn by the airport and I asked if they had a room. They had just had two cancellations, so they did have a room for us. And then talking with the woman at the desk, I learn that our flight out of Halifax was canceled for the morning because the flight from Chicago was canceled due to the weather in Chicago! Needless to say, I was not happy that we had just driven on bad roads to find our flight was cancelled. Wilbert got on the phone with the airline and I took the kids to the room to see if we could get some sleep.

After about 40 minutes on the phone with an awesome ticket agent who tried to get us as close to Grand Rapids as possible, Wilbert tells me the closest we can get on Monday is Chicago and we can either drive from there or spend the night in a hotel and fly into Grand Rapids late Tuesday night (which would be a full day and half later than we were originally supposed to arrive. We decide to get to Chicago and drive.

So, we hopped on the 6:30 am flight to Newark. What a blessing that we had decided to go to Halifax when we did, otherwise, we would not have been able to make this flight. What a blessing we found out our flight was canceled and we were able to be rebooked so quickly. There were a lot of people around us at check in who were not able to get out of Halifax so quickly. While no sleep really happened in the hotel, it was nice to have a place to chill for a bit, and have a shower. This also meant that the kids slept on flight the Newark.

In Newark, we had a long layover until 1, where we took a flight to Chicago. We took turns walking around a bit with Joash, ate at a restaurant (Joash really wanted a waffle and our gate was near a diner that served yummy waffles.Another blessing.) Again the kids slept on the flight to Chicago and Wilbert and I caught little naps too.

Once in Chicago, once we had all of our stuff, we had a get a rental car. We tried Enterprise, but they didn't have any cars available. But they were amazing and actually helped us find out that Hertz had a car available for us and would do a one way rental. We will totally be going with Enterprise for any future rental car needs! We were finally on the road at about 5:30 and traffic through Chicago was not bad at all. The kids slept again for most of the drive.We had to stop a few time to switch drivers, as we were both rather tired. And there was some snow once we got into Michigan, but we were by my parents home by 9:30pm.  We were all very happy to be there, very tired and very thankful the trip had gone as well as it had.

More to come!


Popular posts from this blog

Planning for 2018

So about this time of the year last year, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and finally came to the conclusion that I was not keeping very good track of things and my life. So, I bought and planner and I love it. But, in my search for a planner, I kept thinking there has to be something that can not only help me plan well, but also help and encourage me spiritually. Then, last year Jamie Ivey highlighted Anchored Press in her 2016 Gift Giving Guide. And I knew I was going to be getting a planner from Anchored Press for 2018.
And it has arrived! And I love it!

I am so excited to start using this planner in the new year. I hope that it will help encourage me in all areas of my life.

Coming Home from Michigan

Following the Truck Parade, we spent a bit of time at a park near Nick and Dawn's house. And then off to airport. 
We were nicely on time. Check-in went fine, but a little longer because of Gideon not being connected to our family. Security was a breeze and we were soon on our way and in Detroit. We easily found our gate in Detroit, had a 10 minute delay for boarding, but soon enough we were on the plane.
And that it when the bottom fell out. 
While on the plane, the pilots revived notice that Toronto was shut down due to weather. We waited about 20-30 minutes on the plane. They gave us snacks. Then they had us get off the plane and wait in the terminal. Every 30 minutes or so we would be updated that we were still delayed. And we were watching dark clouds and lightening roll into the area surround Detroit, too. Soon, the Detroit airport was shut down too. They brought out snacks and drinks a few different times, but finally around 10 pm (so over 5 hours of being delayed in the a…

L.M Montgomery's Beginning and End

My birthday present to myself this year was to join the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. It is an online book club and I am so excited to be a part of it. I haven't been in book club in a long time, mostly because all of the invitations I get usually end with, "and at our meetings, we usually don't talk about the book very much, so it doesn't matter if you read it or not." What is the point of a book club if you are not actually going to talk about the book? So, anyway, I am excited to be a part of a community of people who read as much as I do and like to talk about what they read.
I was even more excited when I learned that the pick for November was going to be Emily of New Moon. And since I have lived on PEI for almost 7 years and had yet to visit L. M. Montgomery's Birthplace, I figured it was high time. So the kids and I hopped in the van this afternoon and drove through some lovely countryside to New London, PEI.

 The little home is full of all sorts of Mo…