Skip to main content

Christmas Trip - Part 4 - Coming Home

Well, thankfully, the trip home was much less stressful then the trip to Michigan.

We arrived at the airport with plenty of time to check in. We were a little worried to see that we did not have seats assigned for our second flight, but hoped that would all work out at the gate.  After getting our terrified 3 year old through security, we had time to wait and eat breakfast at the airport. We departed just a bit late, but the quick flight to Chicago is always nice.

We arrived at the gate for our next flight in Chicago and were greeted by the gate agent. "You must be the Talen family." We were surprised, but she handed us our boarding passes for the rest of the trip and said we had been upgraded to the Economy Plus seating for the next flight. We asked how she knew it was us and she said that she knew she had an infant who needed a seat, so Mataya was the give away for her.

Flight to Newark was fine, but a little interesting. This is the flight were the passenger would not switch seats with us. But the ladies on either side of me where really nice and Mataya did sleep for a little bit.

We had a quick connection in Newark, but made it to the gate without a problem. We quick tried to get a bite to eat and use the restroom. Joash needed a change of clothes after that. And after all the hurrying, our flight was delayed a bit. They later told us it was delayed because someone had gotten sick on flight over, so they spent extra time cleaning the plane. We all said thank you.

We had the exact same flight attendant from Newark to Halifax that we had on our Halifax to Newark flight, so that was sort of fun. This was the only flight that Joash slept on all day, which was a blessing, since it was the one flight that I had to sit next to him with Wilbert across the aisle. Lap infants can only be in certain places on a plane, so it had to be like this. So, I was thankful both kids slept and Wilbert kept my hand filled with trail mix.

We arrived in Halifax, but one of our checked bags did not. Praise the Lord that the one that did arrive was the most important as it contained Joash's bunny, tag blanket and tractor that he sleeps with every night. We got back to our car, which was in the middle of a huge slush puddle. And part of the puddle had managed to find its way inside our car. So the drivers side floor was soaked and is now currently frozen as it has been extremely cold here on the Island. But the car started and we were able to drive out of the puddle without a problem. Wilbert has since determined that a drain plug is missing on the underside of the car, so we will replace that soon.

After a quick supper at Tim Horton's we drove back on lovely, clear roads. And our missing bag arrived the next evening, so all is well.

So all in all, a great trip. I do miss my home in Michigan and my family, but it is nice to be back in my Island home (especially in the crazy weather we are having today!).


Popular posts from this blog

Planning for 2018

So about this time of the year last year, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and finally came to the conclusion that I was not keeping very good track of things and my life. So, I bought and planner and I love it. But, in my search for a planner, I kept thinking there has to be something that can not only help me plan well, but also help and encourage me spiritually. Then, last year Jamie Ivey highlighted Anchored Press in her 2016 Gift Giving Guide. And I knew I was going to be getting a planner from Anchored Press for 2018.
And it has arrived! And I love it!

I am so excited to start using this planner in the new year. I hope that it will help encourage me in all areas of my life.

Coming Home from Michigan

Following the Truck Parade, we spent a bit of time at a park near Nick and Dawn's house. And then off to airport. 
We were nicely on time. Check-in went fine, but a little longer because of Gideon not being connected to our family. Security was a breeze and we were soon on our way and in Detroit. We easily found our gate in Detroit, had a 10 minute delay for boarding, but soon enough we were on the plane.
And that it when the bottom fell out. 
While on the plane, the pilots revived notice that Toronto was shut down due to weather. We waited about 20-30 minutes on the plane. They gave us snacks. Then they had us get off the plane and wait in the terminal. Every 30 minutes or so we would be updated that we were still delayed. And we were watching dark clouds and lightening roll into the area surround Detroit, too. Soon, the Detroit airport was shut down too. They brought out snacks and drinks a few different times, but finally around 10 pm (so over 5 hours of being delayed in the a…

L.M Montgomery's Beginning and End

My birthday present to myself this year was to join the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. It is an online book club and I am so excited to be a part of it. I haven't been in book club in a long time, mostly because all of the invitations I get usually end with, "and at our meetings, we usually don't talk about the book very much, so it doesn't matter if you read it or not." What is the point of a book club if you are not actually going to talk about the book? So, anyway, I am excited to be a part of a community of people who read as much as I do and like to talk about what they read.
I was even more excited when I learned that the pick for November was going to be Emily of New Moon. And since I have lived on PEI for almost 7 years and had yet to visit L. M. Montgomery's Birthplace, I figured it was high time. So the kids and I hopped in the van this afternoon and drove through some lovely countryside to New London, PEI.

 The little home is full of all sorts of Mo…