Skip to main content

Finally Going to Michigan

So, after much discussion and finding out the facts around the credit we got from the airline that if we were going to use our credit, we needed to go to Michigan yet this summer. So we booked tickets for the last week of August to return late in the night before the first day of school. However, if you know us at all, you know that it is rare for our travel to go as planned when flying.

We left at quarter to 7 in the morning from Charlottetown. I love living 10 minutes from the airport.
 Gideon was pretty pleasant on the plane.
 We made it to Toronto and that is when things fell apart. First, we had to sit on the plane for an extra 10 minutes to wait for our gate to open up. . Then we had to stop at the ticketing counter to get our boarding passes. We had learned in Charlottetown that somehow when our tickets were booked, something went weird with Gideon as a lap infant. He wasn't connected to our family, but was still booked, just out on his own. So, that made every time we check in take extra long, including in Toronto. Then we had to go through customs and the line was quite long. As we were waiting line, I was watching time ticking down from an hour before our flight, to 30 minutes and I am starting to get really nervous. We finally get our turn with custom agent, who sent us back a step. We were very confused, and spoke with the agent there. Apparently what had happened was the ticketing agent who entered our checked bag number made a typo, so our bag did not connect with us and our itinerary. This, of course, was not cool with the US customs, so the agent had to come with us to get us through customs. By this point I think we had 15 minutes before our flight left. So we ran through the terminal. Wilbert had Mataya on his shoulder and I was pushing Gideon in the stroller. And, of course, we missed the flight by just a few minutes.

The agents at the gate were very nice and helpful, though and found one alternative for us and then looked some more and found another that got us in to Grand Rapids an hour earlier than the first. So now we were flying from Toronto to Minneapolis and then to Grand Rapids and getting to Grand Rapids at 5:30 pm, rather than at 1:30 pm as we would have originally.

We were also impressed when the same agent that helped us sort out our bag problem in customs hand delivered our new checked bag tag to us at our gate.

We got some lunch in Toronto, got on the plane for Minneapolis. The kids shared some animal crackers at the gate in Minneapolis.
We got our flight to Grand Rapids and arrived as scheduled. It took us a bit to get out of the terminal though since Wilbert left his phone in the seat pocket. But, we finally arrived got to see Grandpa and Grandma.


Popular posts from this blog

Planning for 2018

So about this time of the year last year, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and finally came to the conclusion that I was not keeping very good track of things and my life. So, I bought and planner and I love it. But, in my search for a planner, I kept thinking there has to be something that can not only help me plan well, but also help and encourage me spiritually. Then, last year Jamie Ivey highlighted Anchored Press in her 2016 Gift Giving Guide. And I knew I was going to be getting a planner from Anchored Press for 2018.
And it has arrived! And I love it!

I am so excited to start using this planner in the new year. I hope that it will help encourage me in all areas of my life.

Coming Home from Michigan

Following the Truck Parade, we spent a bit of time at a park near Nick and Dawn's house. And then off to airport. 
We were nicely on time. Check-in went fine, but a little longer because of Gideon not being connected to our family. Security was a breeze and we were soon on our way and in Detroit. We easily found our gate in Detroit, had a 10 minute delay for boarding, but soon enough we were on the plane.
And that it when the bottom fell out. 
While on the plane, the pilots revived notice that Toronto was shut down due to weather. We waited about 20-30 minutes on the plane. They gave us snacks. Then they had us get off the plane and wait in the terminal. Every 30 minutes or so we would be updated that we were still delayed. And we were watching dark clouds and lightening roll into the area surround Detroit, too. Soon, the Detroit airport was shut down too. They brought out snacks and drinks a few different times, but finally around 10 pm (so over 5 hours of being delayed in the a…

L.M Montgomery's Beginning and End

My birthday present to myself this year was to join the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. It is an online book club and I am so excited to be a part of it. I haven't been in book club in a long time, mostly because all of the invitations I get usually end with, "and at our meetings, we usually don't talk about the book very much, so it doesn't matter if you read it or not." What is the point of a book club if you are not actually going to talk about the book? So, anyway, I am excited to be a part of a community of people who read as much as I do and like to talk about what they read.
I was even more excited when I learned that the pick for November was going to be Emily of New Moon. And since I have lived on PEI for almost 7 years and had yet to visit L. M. Montgomery's Birthplace, I figured it was high time. So the kids and I hopped in the van this afternoon and drove through some lovely countryside to New London, PEI.

 The little home is full of all sorts of Mo…